Tuesday, January 04, 2005

My Blog

what prompted me to start blog?
One fine sunday moring during december, when i was in deep slumber at my residence enjoying the term break, i was woken up with a news that my favorite spot in chennai, the marina and its waves have come to see me(quite literally). The plans for the rest of the week that i had scheduled took a back seat and the city lost its shine in a matter of few hours.

The next 24 hours i was glued to the television and internet to get the latest information on the Tsunami(by this time, it has become a household name). Every news bulletin sprayed blood. i really got scared of "Refresh" button on IE. Every time i refreshed, it gave a new toll number which was increasing my pulse rate. I was really disturbed by the event.

My parents did not allow me to go anywhere near the beach and my dad was very particular about it. I spent the whole of monday cribbing, cursing and what not for coming to chennai during this time. I couldn't control myself, so i decided that i should go back to manipal where i study(mid-vacation) or visit the affected areas for myself.
so on tuesday i ventured out of my house, decided to see visit my all time favorite spot...marina. The marina i saw there will remain with me throughout my life. I visited couple of relief camps.(More on the tragedy and on my experience in the relief camps later).

The newspapers and magazines were flooded with pictures and stories of the affected families. Some of the articles were really troubling me. so, I felt i need to react to these articles and reports. But i was not sure how to do it. I used to complain about these articles to my parents and friends....but i was not convinced. I was on the look out for a proper medium, that will give me the freedom to post my views and at the same time, i want others to view and comment on them.
At this time i remembered an incident that took place six months back. Swarna srikrishnan, my friend in TAPMI, introduced me to the concept of blogging. While he was doing his summers in Mumbai, he took blogging as a new hobby. When we met he was all gaga about blog, its features,etc,etc. He tried to educate me about it, but i was not much enthused about it. I did not find much use.
But now, i found a different connation to blogging: a medium to express my feelings, views and opinions. I decided that the first thing i will do reaching manipal is to start a blog.
On reaching manipal, i contacted Krishna to know more about blogging. Now i did not hesitate to start a blog. omkara, was born.



No comments: