Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Definition of Truth

I came across an interesting question from one of my friend,"What is the definition of Truth?". I though it was very stupid of him to ask such questions. I though there is well known universal answer. Our discussion went on like this,

Me: Truth is a fact that has been verified and which is conforming to reality or actuality

My friend: Do you mean to say there is only one version for truth.

Me:(thinking.....)

My friend: I mean to say, Can there be different versions of truth?

Me: YES (firm)...

My friend: (Silence.........)

Me: Yes, definitely there is no single thing called truth.

My friend: Then, why are people calling something as truth, when they know it has variations?

Me:(Why is this guy always questioning me!!...making me think)
(I was thinking of some analogy to explain my view.....)

Me: (Wow! It struck me...)
See there only two types of truth, one absolute truth and the other relative truth.

I will explain it with an analogy.Take water in 3 bowls, one extremely cold, one extremely hot and one lukewarm.

Action 1 : Dip your hand into cold water, remove it and dip it into lukewarm water. You will feel that it is extremely hot.

Action 2: Dip your hand in hot water, then dip it in lukewarm water, you will feel that it is extremely cold.

Question: Nothing has changed the characteristics of water in the three bowls, but still you have different feelings, Why?

My friend: (Long Silence.........) ....( i enjoyed every moment of it)

Me: The temperature state of the water in each bowl is known as absolute truth, the temperatures of the lukewarm water after certain action of yours are known as relative truth.

There was no reply from my friend. Knowing what he is capable of i am expecting a strong reply in few days.


1 comment:

Harish said...

did he reply?