Thursday, February 24, 2005

Does Google Know more about me than myself!!!

While checking my Gmail account, i noticed Google ads that come up in the page. For a moment, i was taken aback, looking at the relevence of the link to the mail content. For instance,

Mail Content (somewhere in 15 or so lines):
I watch WWE wrestling programs

Google Ads:
3 Ads popped up --> 2 on WWE game cds and one on WWE gift items.

The power of Google's algorithm dawned on me.
The point i am trying to make is, if they are able to track mails to such an extent, wouldn't they have a complete profile of me interms of my interest level in various subjects.
Imagine Google building up profile on each and every individual who have G-mail account. With more space and better features, i am sure G-mail users are increasing everyday and so is the directory with the corresponding profiles. Doesn't it give an enormous business value to the whole concept. Like, when a home loan company is scouting for contacts, Google might be an one point source of information provider to reach individuals across the globe who have interest in buying house.

Can you imagine other implications!!! I leave it to your imagination:-)

No comments: